About our sport
Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) is a fast-paced, action-packed shooting sport that combines elements of history, costume, and marksmanship. Participants dress up in authentic cowboy attire, and use vintage firearms to shoot at various targets in timed events that simulate scenarios from the Wild West. The sport provides a unique opportunity to step back in time and experience a slice of American frontier history while enjoying the thrill of competition. With a strong sense of camaraderie among its participants, Cowboy Action Shooting is a fun, challenging, and exciting sport that appeals to people of all ages and backgrounds. Whether you’re a seasoned shooter or a newcomer to firearms, this sport offers a unique and unforgettable experience that is sure to keep you coming back for more.
The Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) is an international membership organization formed in 1987 to preserve and promote the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting. SASS serves as the governing and sanctioning body for the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting.
Note: You do not have to be a SASS member to shoot with Ruff’s Regulators.
CLICK HERE to visit the SASS Website
Firearms that are required to shoot a match are:
- Two single action revolvers with a western style gun-belt and holsters.
- A lever action rifle in a pistol caliber, the rifle must hold 10 rounds in the magazine tube.
- Ammunition choices for the pistols and rifle are: 38 Special, 357 Magnum (cowboy loads only), 44/40, 44 Special, 44 Magnum (cowboy loads only), 45 Long Colt. Note: No jacketed ammo, lead bullets only.
- A shotgun without automatic ejectors, or a double barrel with hidden or exposed hammers, or 1887 lever action, or 1897 style pump action.
- Ammunition choices for the shotgun are: #7.5 or # 8 lead birdshot.
One of the unique aspects of Cowboy Action Shooting is the requirement placed on costuming. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, a Hollywood western star, or an appropriate character from fiction. Their costume is then developed accordingly.
Minimum clothing requirements are: A collared long-sleeve shirt with buttons, jeans or old west style dress pants, cowboy or lace-up boots and a cowboy or period appropriate hat.
Safety equipment required: Eye and ear protection.
CLICK HERE for the Cowboy Action Shooting SASS Handbook
CLICK HERE for the Wild Bunch Action Shooting SASS Handbook